Friday, April 15, 2016

Week 2 Of My 30 Day Vegan Challenge


My highlight this week is when I went to get a mani/pedi at my favorite Green + Healthy Nail Salon. Every visit includes a drink and snack. When I was given the snack I had to ask, "Is this vegan?" The answer was no but then to my surprise my nail tech came back out with vegan fortune cookies! I was so happy it was contagious. Thankfully, the "is it vegan" question so far has created excitement for others when helping me reach my goal. 

So have I missed cheese, butter, and eggs yet? The answer this week is yes. It's because I made vegan mac and cheese. It wasn't bad but I found myself missing cow's milk cheese. And typing that kind of creeps me out that I am a human who drinks another animals milk. Weird. However, I am happy that I learned something new when trying to make this meal.

The recipe called for nutritional yeast and said that I could find it at WholeFoods. I went there and the salesperson raved about it. She told me how I could put it on popcorn, avocado topped bagels, and how other vegans loved it because it was buttery and like parmesan cheese. I was excited to try it but in doing so I learned that it's not for me at this moment. I say this because I'm open to and would be interested in giving it one more try if someone else prepared a meal using it.

That's my update for week two. I can't believe it's the 15th and I've completed half the month as a vegan. I'm really proud of myself and looking forward to cooking up more vegan meals in my kitchen. 

And before this post ends I'd like to give a huge shout out and thanks to everyone who has complimented my food photos, checked in on my progress, and for all of the encouragement!