Monday, May 9, 2016

Butterflies And The #Frisco5


I see you, the hunger strikers, the protesters, and those who are able to intersect the struggles and connect them to all of the causes.    

I don’t need anyone to explain, justify, or convince me as to how social justice and the environment intersect. I’m able to feel it in my heart and see it clearly with my own eyes.

When I went to San Francisco State University I used to spend a lot of time at Ocean Beach. The beach was my safe place to connect with the elements and clear my head.

One evening while leaving the beach two policemen approached me. One took my water bottle, threw it, and said, “Go pick it up wetback. What, you don’t understand English?”

I stood there intimidated by two policemen of color suffering from internalized racism. I picked up my water bottle and left the beach that night filled with anger, frustration, and hopelessness.

I don’t know how to solve this, I’m not sure if what is happening and proposed here in San Francisco will either. I don’t know if I’ll see it end in my lifetime.

But this I know… 

I feel what you feel, the hunger strikers, the protesters, and those who are able to intersect the struggles and connect them to all of the causes. It’s all connected.