Monday, June 20, 2016

My Top 10 San Francisco



With 10 days left in the city, I have to leave celebrating and sharing my local favorites! Businesses listed did not sponsor this post. Find all the details for each location listed on my Yelp profile.

Let's start with coffee! I am a big fan of Blue Bottle and a bigger fan of Sexton Coffee Roasters located in the SOMA (South of Market) District. I love espresso and what they serve at Sexton is bold, strong, and smooth. Another close second is Flora Grubbs Garden located in the Bayview. They serve Ritual Coffee (another local favorite) but what I really love about Flora Grubbs is sitting drinking my coffee is a garden oasis!

On to pastries! My favorite bakery is Arizmendi Bakery on Valencia Street in the Mission District. A co-op with a variety of fresh baked goods including vegan and gluten free options! They make and serve pizza too! A close second is Jane on Larkin located in lower nob hill but what really feels like the TL. I like Jane because they bake in house and have a variety of goods; my husband loves their fruit muffins, which change with what is in season.

Off the Grid is a fun outside experience on Friday nights at Fort Mason Center. With the Golden Gate Bridge as a back drop, live music, and so many food trucks! OTG is great for locals and tourists alike. Be sure to bring/wear a sweater it can get really windy and cold.

And speaking of food trucks, my favorite is Senor Sisig. They serve Filipino Fusion food. I stick to my favorite everytime, the California Sisig Burrito. This baby is packed with french fries, shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo, and tofu. You can order this with different meat options but I recommend the tofu instead, you won’t miss the meat! I am a vegetarian and not a huge fan of tofu but it’s firm, deep fried, and seasoned to perfection  So yeah it’s awesome! I also love supporting Senor Sisig because Evan (Owner) went to San Francisco State University, where I am an alum too!  

And of course I have to share where I love going for Mission Style Burritos! It’s definitely a tie between El Farolito and Papalote Mexican Grill. Here is why I love El Farolito, the Chile Rellano burrito. They take a deep fried chile rellano and put it in the center of a burrito! I mean, talk about delicious. When I’m in the mood for a healthier choice you’ll find me at Papalote Mexican Grill on Valencia Street. Their black bean burritos are fresh and delicious. Everything is made from scratch and they have vegan options which I appreciate! They also have amazing salsa you can pick up and take home too. Also great as a souvenir for yourself or foodie friends!

Fun nights out include Alonzo KingLines Ballet and Non Stop Bhangra Night. My husband and I love going the Alonzo King Lines Ballet and have gone for the past four years. We go every fall and spring to Yerba Buena Gardens, located in Union Square, to see the performance. It’s one of our favorite annual date nights too. I love how the cast of dancers is super diverse, other ballet goers are not pretentious, and every show is super creative blending different genres of music and dance. Non Stop Bhangra Nights are also our favorite annual date night out. Every month the event is held at Public Works near the Mission District. I love how everyone feels welcome at the events and the hosts take time to teach people this style of dancing. If you’re looking for a fun night out to get your dance on this is your place! 

Pride is my favorite citywide event the last weekend every June. And I’m super excited this year to march in the parade with my District Supevisor Jane Kim! Another citywide event I have to mention is Sunday Streets, after all that is where I met my husband. Sunday Streets are community events throughout the city closing stretches of streets to cars and opening them up to people encouraging play and socialization in the street!

Kabuki Springs and Spa is my favorite place to relax and recharge. It’s a steal at $25 dollars to experience this Japanese style bathhouse, sip on tea and read magazines, and slather yourself up with amazing products. They also have a punch card so you can earn a free visit. If you’re a local I recommend going once a month for a “me” day. There is always a line so be prepared to wait. It’s so worth it!  

Walking across (or half way) on the Golden Gate Bridge is an awesome free experience. This world recognized icon is as beautiful in person as it is on a postcard. You can get there riding the MUNI 28 bus line. To get to the other side you have to take Golden Gate Transit system.

And most importantly, Composting and Recycling. San Francisco has a goal of zero waste by 2020. So if you live here or are visiting please help us get to our goal and pretty much help the one planet we all share together and call home. Everyplace you go in the city should always have three bins. Compost (Green)/ Recycling (Blue)/ Landfill (Black.) Look for signs or ask for help if you need it. Thanks from myself, the city, and our planet we appreciate it!

I hope you've enjoyed My Top 10 San Francisco list!