Sunday, November 20, 2016

EXPLORING JORDAN



Going to Petra was on my bucket list for sure and coming here meant that I would be able to finish seeing all of the “7 Modern Wonders of the World!” Jordan is a great country for outdoor adventures and the people are super hospitable. I really enjoyed this quick trip and all this country had to offer. 

JORDAN IN THREE WORDS:
If I had to describe Jordan in three words they would be:
Brotherhood, Lithic, Exhilarating. 

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Wow, I can’t believe I’m here! Sprawled out but condensed and desert everywhere. Adventures to be had out in the rocky burnt orange/crimson colored mountainous desert, let’s do this!    

WHAT SURPRISED ME ABOUT JORDAN?    
Here are a few things that surprised me about Jordan, specifically Petra & Amman. I mentioned brotherhood above as one of the three words I’d use to describe this country and it's because on our drive from Amman to Petra our driver’s car broke down, thankfully in a city and not on the highway in the middle of the night/nowhere. Every car that passed us stopped and offered to help. Every interaction we had felt the same way too, locals going out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. 

Many people asked me, “Are you sure you’re not Arab?” It reminded me of other experiences traveling and living abroad. I don’t mind being asked about my ethnic background and it’s also nice to see people’s reactions when I respond, “I’m Mexican.” 

WHAT DO VEGETARIANS EAT IN JORDAN? 
Hotels offer a buffet style breakfast with boiled eggs, breads, pancakes, cereal, pita, yogurt, coffee, and juice. Lunches include mezze platters with salad, hummus, baba ganoush, falafel, pita, French fries. My husband loved foul a fava bean dish with curry like spices.  

TIPS - In this section I've laid out tips if you're interested in traveling here...

DO:
Exchange money before you get here. Only use taxis and ask them to turn on the meter. If you use a credit card expect an extra charge. Also Jordan is expensive meaning transportation and accommodations aren't so cheap. 

PETRA- obviously the main reason all tourists come to this country is to see this historic site. Expect hikes especially up to the Monastery. You can ride camels and donkeys throughout if you aren’t feeling like hiking. Expect to get dusty, dirty, and sweaty it's best to leave your fancy clothes at home.

AMMAN- this is the country’s capital a bustling city with few sites to see. Go to the Roman ruins the theatre has a couple of museums. Wander through the city streets and eat a mezze platter and try some baked sweets.

EAT:
It’s so easy to find great food here and it’s super cheap! Just ask your hotel and they will direct you to great places. See my list above if you’re a vegetarian!

STAY:
PETRA- I would definitely recommend Alanbat Hotel. Super friendly staff, great breakfast, and they will drop and pick you up to visit Petra. We also arranged our ride back to Amman with them as well.

AMMAN- I would suggest staying in the old downtown area, which is walking distance to the Roman sites.

Thanks for the quick adventure Jordan! You truly are a wonder of this world!